The Civil Engineering Institute (CEI) is the department’s industry advisory group, composed of local leaders in engineering involved in the design, construction, and management of civil infrastructure. CEI played a critical role in the department’s founding, and continues to guide, advise, and support our program over 26 years later.
The Civil Engineering Institute (CEI) has again provided dedicated and critical support to the Sid and Reva Dewberry Department of Civil, Environmental, and Infrastructure Engineering. On behalf of the CEI Board of Directors, it is my pleasure to report on our activities during 2017. During this past year, CEI was proud to partner with the university to:
• provide funding for enhanced student learning experiences including ASCE, DBIA, Engineers for International Development (EfiD) and SAME;
• provide adjunct practitioner faculty and guest speakers through our members;
• participate in the Dean’s All-Hands Volgenau School of Engineering Advisory Board Meeting;
• provide scholarships to deserving students;
• hold our eleventh Annual Awards Luncheon where engineering excellence and leadership were recognized;
• provide supplemental funding for civil engineering class dinners where student success is recognized;
• provide input on curriculum changes in keeping with trends in the professional practice fields.
At our December Board Meeting, Dr. Liza Wilson Durant was recognized for her outstanding leadership, unwavering support and thoughtful guidance in building and enriching the relationships among many within GMU and the engineering and construction profession. Liza did an exceptional job serving as the Executive Director of the CEI Board over the past 3 years. We congratulate Liza in her new position as Assistant Dean Strategic Initiatives and Community Engagement.
Dr. Sam Salem, the new Department Chair of the Sid and Reva Dewberry Department of Civil, Environmental, and Infrastructure Engineering was installed as the new Executive Director of the CEI Board in December. He wasted no time at the helm of CEI in sharing his vision and goals to the Board. Sam has 28 years of professional and academic
experience in construction engineering, project management, infrastructure asset management and sustainable development. We welcome Sam to the GMU community.
The Board of Directors is proud of the accomplishments this past year and presenting this
2017 Annual Report. We continue to operate on a sound fiscal basis. And we are always looking to expand our member organizations.
Kurt R. Thompson, PE
Chair, Civil Engineering Institute