February 28, 2013
Dear Members and Friends of the Civil Engineering Institute,
In my first few months as Civil Engineering Institute (CEI) Chair, with great support from our Board members and since our founding in 1989, I have witnessed somewhat of a transformation towards a more mature collaboration between the university and the Civil Engineering Institute. The growth in the student and faculty population over the last few years, the expanded course and degree offerings, and the out-of-the-classroom opportunities are truly remarkable and hold a lot of promise for the future. At the same time, the caliber of students entering the program has continued to improve as the university continues an upward trend of attracting some of the best students locally and beyond the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The Civil Engineering Institute was proud to be a partner with the university in 2012 and achieved the following:
- Three CEI member companies, Shirley Contracting Company, Lane Construction Corporation, and Balfour Beatty Construction provided design and construction services towards a brand new CEIE Laboratory. Other CEI member companies and individuals conducted critical fundraising to purchase and equip the lab with advanced teaching and research equipment.
- CEI participated, evaluated and advised the Department throughout the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology program review, including review and comments on the self-study report as well as meeting with the ABET Program Evaluator;
- CEI provided adjunct faculty and guest speakers;
- CEI provided funding for many significant out-of-the-classroom student learning experiences including: Chi Epsilon, the American Society of Civil Engineers, the Design-Build Institute of America, and Engineers for International Development;
- CEI provided scholarships and internships to deserving students;
- CEI held counseling and advisory sessions for students to assist in their career opportunities; and
- CEI provided general support of the program and students.
Our work continues. Come join us and be part of making a difference at a nationally recognized university right here in Fairfax County. We need your help in supporting the growth at George Mason University and we hope to accomplish the following in 2013:
- Recognizing outstanding Engineering Excellence at our 6th annual Awards Luncheon;
- Continuing fund raising to complete the purchase and installation of equipment for a fully functioning lab;
- Upgrading our scholarship offerings and continuing to provide the maximum number of internships;
- Serving as adjunct faculty, mixing classroom teaching with valuable industry knowledge and experience; and
- Enhancing our support for out-of-the-classroom activities and projects.
The Board of Directors takes great pride in presenting this 2012 Annual Report to you. The Institute continues to run on a sound fiscal basis and is looking forward to another great year as it continues to seek out new members, especially in the Public Sector. We invite you to join us to be a part of the accomplishments, rewards, satisfaction, and fun that we all enjoy.
Best wishes for a happy and successful 2013.
Hardeep S. Rana, P.E.
Chairman, Civil Engineering Institute