On September 17, 2007 Dr. Sharon deMonsabert hosted a panel on sustainable development with prominent members of the sustainable engineering and design field. The panelists that participated were:
- Lisa Rauenzahn, Coordinating Editor of the 3rd Edition of the Land Development Handbook, Dewberry
- A.R. Ann Kosmal, Architect in Sustainable Design, U.S. General Services Administration
- Donal Tucker, Owner/developer of Eco Housing Corporation
- Michael Rolband, Founder and president of Wetlands Studies and Solutions, Inc.
- Thomas Mawson, Executive Director of the National Capital Region Chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council
The campus sustainability coordinator, Lenna Storm, also attended and participated in the dialog. Students asked a variety of questions related to the challenges associated with sustainable development in the US and overseas. The panel provided insight into the challenges faced by engineers and architects is adopting sustainable practices. Failed efforts and high construction costs were discussed. The panel encouraged students to write letters to their representatives in support of sustainable design regulations and smart growth.