Distinguished Visiting Professor
Endowed Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Ph.D. Urban Planning, Princeton University, 1976
- BS, Architectural Engineering, Hanyang University, Korea, 1967
- Transportation Planning and Engineering
- Technology for Cities
Planning for future cities, Developing efficient solutions for complex location-based services, Developing international standards for ubiquitous geographic information systems, Modeling dynamic congestion control systems for metropolitan areas.
Professional Services (Present):
- Member, the National Academies/TRB Committee on National Research Frameworks: Application to Transportation (2010-Present).
- Fellow, Regional Science Association, International (2006-present).
- Fellow, The National Academy of Engineering of Korea, (2000-Present).
- Advisor, Ar-Riyadh Development Authority, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (1993-Present).
- Editor-in-Chief (2010-Present), Journal of Transportation Technologies
- Associate Editor (2008-Present), International Journal of Information Systems and Social Change.
- Member, Editorial Board (2008-Present), Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences.
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board (2007-Present), The Open Transport Journal.
- Editorial Advisory Board (2007-Present), Journal of Transport and Land Use.
- Member of the Editorial Board (1981-1994 and 2005-Present), The Annals of Regional Science: A Journal of Urban, Regional and Environmental Research and Policy.
- Member of the Editorial Board (1987-Present), Review of Urban and Regional Development Studies: An International Journal.
Tschangho John Kim, Endowed Professor Emeritus of Urban and Regional Systems at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), is a Fellow of Regional Science Association International, and has published 9 books, 142 journal articles, book chapters, and professional articles in the areas of transportation planning, urban and regional development, global urbanization, geographic information systems, intelligent transportation systems and location-based services.
He has worked in Austria, Germany, Indonesia, South Korea, Sweden, Kenya, the People’s Republic of China, Saudi Arabia, and the United States. From 1979 to 1980, he served as project director of the National Comprehensive Transportation Study of Korea and from 1990 to 1991 he directed the Optimal Transport Sector Development Project in Indonesia. He was director of the Office of Overseas University Collaboration at UIUC from 1984 to 1991, and special advisor on international affairs to the Governor of Illinois from 1985 to 1987. More recently, he served as a leader in a number of technical committees for Geographic Information Systems and Intelligent Transportation Systems of the International Organization for Standardization, as well as serving as president of the Western Regional Science Association and as a member of the boards of directors of the Korea-USA Science Cooperation Center and the Fulbright Academy of Science and Technology. He is currently an advisor to Arriyadh Development Authority for planning of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. He serves as Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Transportation Technologies and on the editorial boards of 11 international journals, and on the review board of the European Research Council. He earned a Ph.D. degree in urban planning from Princeton University.
Kim, Tschangho John and John de Monchaux, 2011, Planning the Capital: Managing and Development of Ar Riyadh, Ar Riyadh Development Authority, Ar Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Kim, Tschangho John (ed), 2004, Transportation Engineering and Planning, A Series in Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems (EOLSS), EOLSS Publishers/UNESCO, Paris, France, Oxford, UK, [http://www.eolss.net] or [http://greenplanet.eolss.net/EolssLogn/default.htm].
Tschangho John Kim and Sung-Gheel Jang, 2012, “Ubiquitous Geographic Information”, in Kresse, Wolfgang; Danko, David M. (Eds.), Springer Handbook of Geographic Information, ISBN 978-3-540-72678-4 Springer, Berlin.
Tschangho John Kim and Keechoo Choi, 2012, “Geographic Information for Transportation (GIS-T)”, in Kresse, Wolfgang; Danko, David M. (Eds.), Springer Handbook of Geographic Information, ISBN 978-3-540-72678-4 Springer, Berlin.
Tschangho John Kim, 2011, “Urban Space with Instant and Ubiquitous Access Technologies”, Journal of Transportation Technologies, 11:1. 1-3.
Kang, Seungmo and Tschangho John Kim, 2011, “Adaptive Dynamic Programming Approach to a Multi-Purpose Location-Based Concierge Service Model,” IET Intelligent Transport Systems, Vol. 5, Issue 4, p. 277-285.
Seungmo Kang and Tschangho John Kim, 2010, “Combined-Cost and Bi-Objective Approaches to Multipurpose Location-Based Services Using Genetic Algorithms”, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board,No. 2160, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C., 2010, 40–49.