Job announcements posted below have been submitted by potential employers. They have not been screened by the CEIE Department.
Full-time and internship postings specific to positions beginning in spring and summer 2017:
The job announcements will seek applicants interested in working for HQUSACE, HECSA, IWR, AGC and possibly other USACE activities in the National Capital Region to be duty-stationed in the at the GAO Building, Humphreys Engineer Center, Arlington National Cemetery, and Fort Belvoir.
IMPORTANT: These announcements will close after the first 100 applicants have submitted. If you know individuals that may be interested in a summer job with USACE in the NCR, I recommend they apply as soon as the announcements open in USAJOBS on 5 April, which will be just after midnight on 4 April. Even though the announcements say they will be open for multiple days through 10 April, we expect numerous applicants on the first day. So many that the announcements may close on the same day they open. So as they say, “the early bird …”
Positions for two job series will be announced:
The announcement numbers in USAJOBS will be:
Performs a variety of engineering work in the initial planning and design phases of projects. May also support procurement and construction phases or projects with engineering knowledge and experience. Performs other duties as required.
Responsibilities: Work activities include collection and interpretation of engineering data, development of project design basis, development of specifications, and performance of detailed engineering. Engineering Reports are often a work product. Ensures conformance to applicable engineering codes and standards as well as company policies and procedures.
Qualifications/Competencies/Experience: Has in-depth experience, knowledge and skills in own discipline. Works independently with minimal guidance. Usually determines own work priorities. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. May stabilize at this level for many years. Has expertise in own discipline. Applies knowledge and skills to a wide range of standard and nonstandard situations. Interprets customer needs, assesses requirements and identifies solutions to non-standard requests. Uses best practices and knowledge of internal/external business issues to improve products or services in own discipline. Monitors and controls costs within own work. Solves moderately complex problems; takes a new perspective on existing solutions. Manages own time to meet agreed targets; develops plans for short-term work activities in own area. Explains difficult issues and works to establish consensus. Promotes teamwork; coaches and guides others. To apply, submit resumes to: Madison Witte, PE, Madison.Witte@cbifederalservices.com (posted 2/9/17)
- Start your career and earn experience in the one of the leading companies in Engineering. This involves hands-on experience in design, inspection, installation, testing, project management, and report generation both in the office and in the field. Applied Technical Services Inc. (ATS) located in Alexandria, VA is seeking to employee Spring and Summer paid co-ops. ATS is a medium size, employee owned and operated company. It’s headquartered in Marietta, Georgia with branch offices up and down the east coast of the United States. We specialize in engineering consulting, inspecting and testing. Our Alexandria office focuses primarily on consulting engineering for façade access systems and mechanical integrity of industrial equipment. ATS co-ops enjoy a wealth of benefits on top of a competitive wage including hands on experience, tuition, school and book reimbursement, including personal mentorship, paid travel, and the opportunity to quickly learn a professional, yet laid back atmosphere in structural engineering. More information about the co-op program and to learn about our company please visit our website at www.atslab.com. We look forward to hearing from you! Submit resumes & Bio: email@example.com (Posted 12/8/16)
- Urban Ltd, http://www.urban-ltd.com/ is hiring entry level engineers. Interested applicants should send resume and cover letter to: Mr. John Cardenas, PE, Urban, Ltd. at firstname.lastname@example.org (12/5/16)
- The Engineering Groupe, Inc is seeking qualified applicants for internship and full-time employment opportunities. More information may be found at http://www.enggroupe.com/ and on Facebook and LinkedIn. Please submit resumes and cover letters to: email@example.com (Posted 12/5/16)
- Civilian Summer Research Programs with the U.S. Air Force Research Lab, Army Research Lab and the Army Institute for Surgical Research. All opportunities can be located at www.orau.org/maryland. A single application can be utilized to apply to all of these programs and other DoD research opportunities.
U.S. Air Force Research Lab – 2017 Repperger Internship Program (39 opportunities for BS students – PhD candidates) – U.S. Citizenship Required. Information Webpage: http://www.orau.org/maryland/repperger.html
U.S. Army Research Lab – Summer Journeyman Fellowship Program (50+ opportunities for BS graduates -PhD candidates) – Non U.S. Citizens may apply for consideration. Information Webpage: http://www.orau.org/arlfellowship/applicants/programs/journeyman-fellows-summer-program.htm
U.S. Army Institute for Surgical Research – Summer Internship Program (12 opportunities for BS students) – U.S. Citizenship Required. Information Webpage: https://www.orau.org/maryland/isr.html
Research areas include, but not limited the following: Biology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Biological Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Biophysics, Chemistry, Cell Biology, Chemical Engineering, Cognitive Science, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Health Physics, Hearing Science, Human Factors Engineering, Information Science, Industrial Engineering, Genetics-Genomics, Mathematics, Material Science, Mechanical Engineering, Molecular Biology, Neuroscience Medical Physics, Neuromorphic Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Neuroscience, Physiology, Physics, Psychology, Experimental Psychology, Robotics, Social Science, Spectroscopy, Statistics, Statistical Data Mining and more.
Stay connected with ORAU! Join the ORAU Talent Network. The Talent Network allows you to receive alerts with new opportunities that match your research interest. You need to only enter your E-mail Address, Zip Code, and Desired Area of Research.
Click to join the ORAU Talent Network: http://www.jobs.net/jobs/orau-maryland/en-us/ (Posted 12/5/16)
Opportunity for Graduate Students only.
- Geo-Technology Associates, Inc. is currently seeking a Staff Level Geotechnical Engineer for our Sterling, VA office. Staff Engineers require 0-5 years of experience with geotechnical explorations and construction observation and testing related to the following areas:
- Earthwork, foundation, and construction materials observation and testing
- Subsurface investigations including borings and test pits, reviewing exploration logs, lab results, and plans
- Calculations of bearing capacity, settlement, earth pressures, pavement section design, and slope stability
- Preparation of geotechnical reports
Candidates should be prepared for professional growth into such areas as retaining wall design, slope stability analysis, pavement design, review of subsurface conditions and foundation design, and project management. This is an excellent opportunity to work with experienced PE’s and learn and perform on wide variety of projects. Interested candidates should forward their resume to Sarah Dalton at firstname.lastname@example.org (Posted 5/2/16)
The Virginia Department of Transportation is currently seeking entry-level Business and Engineering Associates for our Core Development Program. There are 6 Business Associate and 28 Engineer Associate positions. The positions are located across the Commonwealth of Virginia. For specific details and location information, please see the posting. Applications will only be accepted through the state’s application site. To find the posted positions, please click on the “search postings” link on the left hand side of the page. In the search box “Working Title” enter CDP and click the search button at the bottom of the page.
- Martins Construction Corp. has an open Project Engineer / Assistant Project Manager position for a qualified individual in Heavy Highway Construction, mainly the construction and rehabilitation of bridges. The applicant must possess strong analytical, organizational, planning and communication skills with a commitment to high standards, integrity and ethics. Degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management is a must (if candidate is on track to obtaining his/her degree, the application will be considered for a co-op or internship with the intent to hire upon completion of studies). This position is intended to serve as an intense hands-on learning experience to prepare the candidate’s successful transition into semi-independent and independent Project Management roles in 1 to 2 years respectively (individual candidates’ commitment and performance are the key determinant of the duration of such transition). If interested, please submit: E-mail professional resume and a sample of individual’s writing abilities (not team projects). All e-mails should contain in the subject “GMU Student Application – <YOUR NAME>Martins Construction Crop., 210 Little Falls Street, Suite 300, Falls Church, VA 22046. Please direct questions to Pooya Azar, Director of Operations Pazar@martinscorp.com. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, sexual orientation. (Posted 3/25/16)
- Washington Gas Entry Level Opportunity for Civil Engineers Responsible for supporting the Transmission Integrity Management Program (TIMP) by investigating and maintaining historical engineering records related to pipeline integrity. Manages engineering projects related to the remediation of identified pipeline integrity issues that enhance the safety and reliability of transmission and high pressure pipelines. Apply online at: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHost/jobdetails.aspx?SID=%5e_slp_rhc_s3hppd2DFOygvC3I0%2fBdhTeu2ENHO%2fSOHx4C2E0nv7hUKQzgVhwCHV5RNOZRvK8&jobId=293739&type=search&JobReqLang=1&recordstart=1&JobSiteId=5273&JobSiteInfo=293739_5273&GQId=0 Please contact Michelle Long at email@example.com with any questions. (Posted 3/11/16)
- Arlington County’s Department of Environmental Services (Division of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Engineering and Operations) is looking to fill multiple positions for currently enrolled university students or recent graduates interested in paid, part- time, temporary internships which will last 8 or more months (40 hours/week maximum during the summer and up to 30 hours/week maximum during the rest of the year). This department is responsible for design, construction, and maintenance of the County’s traffic signal and ITS infrastructure including traffic signals, remote data collection units, Bluetooth travel time harvesting, VMS signs, and the County’s fiber network. Motivated candidates should send a cover letter and up-to-date résumé to Andy Anton, ITS & Traffic Signals Engineer: firstname.lastname@example.org. REQUIREMENTS: Eligible to work in the US, Valid driver’s license , Current enrollment or recent graduation from a Civil/Transportation Engineering or related degree program PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Experience using traffic analysis software such as Synchro & SimTraffic, Experience or knowledge of VISSIM, Experience with data entry and analysis in ArcGIS, MS Office – Word & Excel experience. (Posted 2/22/16)
- Transportation Department of Whitman, Requardt and Associates, LLP is hiring interns. For more information please contact Moaz Khan | Civil Engineer, Whitman, Requardt & Associates, LLP, 3701 Pender Drive, Suite 450, Fairfax, VA 22030 Tel. 703.293.7406, email@example.com www.wrallp.com
- George Mason’s office of Project Management and Construction invites applicants from CEIE students for summer, fall, and spring internships specializing in construction administration (level 1). Applicants will be assigned and rotated through projects in Construction Inspection and Compliance, Land Use Development, and Construction Project Management. Typical duties will include: inspecting construction to assure quality and compliance with contractual documents, preparing daily reports, reviewing change orders and their execution, work with various agencies to assure compliance with all applicable environmental laws and regulations, assist with required environmental reporting, tracking and monitoring construction project progress and expenses. Prior internship experience, knowledge of AutoCAD, and good communication skills are all pluses. Applicants should be pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Civil, Environmental, and/or Infrastructure Engineering and have finished their first year within their degree program. Interested students should apply immediately as these opportunities fill up fast. Interested candidates may apply to this posting at the GMU Career Services or you may send your resume and cover letter to Ed Daniels, Director Human Resources – Facilities at mailstop 1E4. Applications are due by May 10th and interviews will be conducting between May 11th through May 20th. Applications should include a cover letter explaining why the applicant is interested as well as a detailed resume showing past experiences.
- Interns at Endesco Inc. Endesco Inc., a civil engineering design company in Rockville, Maryland, is now providing an internship opportunity for the next three months, starting immediately. Computer-Aided Design and Drafting experience in Microstation is required. Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the company, please visit http://endescoinc.com (Posted 2/15/17)
- SZ PM Consultants, Inc. is an engineering and project management consulting firm specialized in water and wastewater related engineering projects based in DC. We are looking for an experienced traction power lead designer and an electrical engineer experienced with corrosion control and grounding design. If you are interested in any of those two positions, please email a copy of your resume to email@example.com. (Posted 2/15/17)
- Stantec, one of the nation’s fastest growing consulting firms, offer exciting careers to technically-oriented professionals. We are seeking individuals looking to become integral members of a rapidly expanding, dynamic organization. Stantec’s modeling practice is expanding again and we have several positions in our suburban Philadelphia, PA and Tallahassee, FL offices, including: Junior Transportation Analyst, Transportation Analyst, and Traffic Simulation Engineer. Please refer to the attached document for qualifications. If interested, please email your resume to David Schellinger at firstname.lastname@example.org (Posted 2/15/17)
- General job searches
- All positions for the U.S. government are posted at http://www.usajobs.gov/. The site is searchable using, for example, “civil engineer”; or “internship”, or by job location. Positions within federal agencies are also frequently listed on agency sites. For example, the US Department of Agriculture lists its positions at http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=CAREERS.
- The Commonwealth of Virginia posts job openings in the government at https://jobs.agencies.virginia.gov/applicants/jsp/shared/Welcome_css.jsp and lists links to all state agency sites.
- The Peace Corps; AmeriCorps; and Teach for America offer unparalleled experience for new and recent graduates. People who complete these two year programs gain excellent experience in leadership and adaptability that often gives them an edge when they return to the job market. As federal programs, service may also be used as credit toward reducing federal student loans. Application deadlines are typically 6 months or more before the start date.
- Peace Corps “volunteers” (PCV’s) are paid at a country-appropriate level to live abroad for two years in a community in a developing country to help meet their need for trained men and women. PCV’s may work, for example, as school teachers (for example, of English, math, or science), as health professionals, as agricultural assistants, or as engineers. Visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqOH2M12VUg .
- AmeriCorps State and National supports a broad range of local service programs that engage thousands of Americans in intensive service to meet critical community needs; AmeriCorps VISTA assists community organizations and public agencies to create and expand programs that build capacity and ultimately bring low-income individuals and communities out of poverty; AmeriCorps NCCC is a full-time residential program for men and women, ages 18-24, that strengthens communities while developing leaders through direct, team-based national and community service.
- Teach for America recruits college graduates to expand educational opportunity by teaching for two years in a low-income community in the US.
- The Woodrow Wilson Fellowship in Teaching offers opportunities to combine study for a master’s in education with a commitment to teach engineering, science, math, or technology for three years in high-needs secondary schools.
- GEI http://www.geiconsultants.com/about-us posts job openings at http://careers.geiconsultants.com/.
- Froehling & Robertson, Inc., http://www.fandr.com/default.aspx posts job openings at http://www.fandr.com/careers/default.aspx.
- CDM-Smith http://cdmsmith.com/en-US/Discover-Us.aspx posts job openings for recent graduates at http://cdmsmith.com/join-us/brassring_recent_graduates.htm.
- The US Department of Transportation invites applications to its Summer Transportation Internship Program for Diverse Groups (STIPDG) program in December for the following summer at http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/education/stipdg.htm.
- The Association of State Dam Safety Officials lists student internships at http://www.damsafety.org/careercenter/internships/, and permanent positions at https://www.damsafety.org/careercenter/joblisting/Default.aspx.
- Dominion Resources https://www.dom.com posts internship opportunities at https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_home.asp?partnerid=178&siteid=5230.
- Engineering Consulting Services (ECS) http://www.ecslimited.com posts internship openings at http://www.ecslimited.com/CollegeRecruiting.cfm and permanent job openings at https://jobs-ecslimited.icims.com/jobs/intro?hashed=0.
- The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Engineering Scholar Program http://www.virginiadot.org/jobs/engscholarprog.asp accepts applications for internships.
- The Commonwealth of Virginia posts its job openings at https://jobs.agencies.virginia.gov/applicants/jsp/shared/position/JobDetails_css.jsp.
- Tetratek http://www.tetratech.com/us/about-tetra-tech.html posts job openings at http://www.tetratech.com/us/for-students.html.
- Parsons Brinckerhoff http://www.pbworld.com posts job openings at http://www.pbworld.com/people_careers/.
- Washington Gas http://www.washgas.com posts its job openings at http://sh.webhire.com/public/697 .
- The Virginia Department of Transportation internship program opportunities are posted at http://www.virginiadot.org/jobs/internship_program04.asp. In past years applications have been due in March.
- The Virginia Sea Grant (VASG) Communication Center posts its summer internship opportunities http://vaseagrant.vims.edu/2012/03/28/internship-opportunity-science-communication. Applications have been due in April in past years.
- Rummel, Klepper & Kahl, LLP www.rkk.com posts job openings at http://www.rkk.com/index.php/jobs-and-internships.
- URS http://www.urscorp.com posts job openings at http://www.urscorp.com/About_URS/index.php.
- The Institute for Water Resources http://www.iwr.usace.army.mil, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers http://www.corpsresults.us posts job openings at www.usajobs.gov.
- The Organization of American States http://www.oas.org/en/default.asp posts job openings at http://www.oas.org/EN/PINFO/HR/job.htm.
- The U.S. Department of State posts job openings at http://careers.state.gov/specialist/vacancy-announcements/ce.
- Dewberry http://www.dewberry.com posts job openings at http://www.dewberry.com/careers
- Collins Engineers Inc. http://www.collinsengr.com/Home.aspx, a Chicago-based, nationwide civil engineering firm with an office in Fairfax, VA, posts its job openings at http://www.collinsengr.com/Careers/Available-Positions.aspx
- Clark Construction http://www.clarkconstruction.com/about/corporate_overview posts job openings at http://www.clarkconstruction.com/careers/careers_at_clark
- Lane Construction http://www.laneconstruct.com/Home posts job openings at http://www.laneconstruct.com/page?pageName=CurrentOpportunities
- Shirley Contracting http://www.shirleycontracting.com posts job openings at http://www.shirleycontracting.com/opportunities.htm
- Balfour Beatty http://www.balfourbeatty.com posts job openings at http://www.balfourbeatty.com/index.asp?pageid=7
- North Island Corporation http://www.northislandco.com/About_Us.html posts its openings at http://www.northislandco.com/Careers.html .
- Turner Construction http://www.turnerconstruction.com posts positions at http://www.turnerconstruction.com/careers/campus.
- ECS Limited posts job openings at http://www.ecslimited.com
- AECOM http://www.aecom.com posts job openings at http://www.aecom.com/Careers.
- Burgess Niple posts job openings at www.burgessniple.com
- Manganaro Midatlantic, LLC posts job openings at www.manganaro.com
- Virginia Department of Transportation posts job openings at http://vdot.jobs.
- Fugro Consultants posts job openings at http://www.fugroconsultants.com/careers.
- Grunley Construction Company posts its job openings at http://www.grunley.com/about/careers
- Triad Engineering posts its job openings at http://triadeng.iapplicants.com/searchjobs.php
- Wetland Studies and Solutions posts its job openings at http://www.wetlandstudies.com/careers/openings.html.
- Hazen Sawyer posts its job announcements at http://www.hazenandsawyer.com/careers/
- HydoGeoLogic, Inc. posts its job announcements at http://www.hgl.com/careers/
- James G. Davis Construction Corporation posts its job openings at http://www.davisconstruction.com/employment.aspx.
- Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates (engineers, architects, and materials scientists) posts its job openings at http://www.wje.com/careers/.
- Peer Consultants posts its job announcements at http://www.peercpc.com/careers.
- CH2MHill posts its job announcements at http://www.careers.ch2m.com/worldwide/en/
- HITT Contracting posts its job announcements at http://www.jobs.net/jobs/hitt-contracting/en-us/join.
- The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars offers some paid and some unpaid internships that relate to international environment issues; details at http://www.wilsoncenter.org/opportunities/Internship.
- Apex, an environmental services firm, posts its job announcements at https://careers-apexcos.icims.com/jobs/intro?amp;hashed=0.
- URS Corporation, a international engineering and construction firm, posts its job announcements at http://www.urs.com/careers/career-opportunities-apply/.
- STV , a firm of engineers, architects, planners and construction managers, posts its job announcements at http://www.stvinc.com/careers.aspx.
- Cardno Haynes Whaley, structural engineers, invites expressions of employment interest accompanied by a resume, sent to email@example.com.
- DMY Engineering Consultants, LLC, a geotechnical, materials testing, and construction inspection firm, posts its openings at http://www.dmyec.com/Career.html.
- Fairfax Water posts its position openings at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/fairfaxwater/default.cfm.
- Thornton Tomasetti posts its position openings at http://www.thorntontomasetti.com/careers.
- Menard USA geotechnical ground improvement design and construction specialists post their position openings at http://www.menardusa.com/careers.html#.