Students’ undergraduate years present invaluable opportunities to explore a range of interests, including ones outside engineering.  General education requirements provide some diversity in students’ education, however some students elect to take this a step further, formalizing their decision with a minor or a double major with coursework beyond the 120 credit hours required for the BS-CIE.  In some cases, a minor or a double major complements a student’s civil engineering education.  In other cases it may simply appeal to a student’s special interests, such as graphic design, music, or foreign language study.

Minor in Environmental Engineering
CEIE offers a minor in Environmental Engineering.  Students with engineering majors in CEIE, BIOE, and SEOR, and non-engineering majors in Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science and Policy, Geography and Geoinformation Science, and Geology are especially encouraged to consider this offering.  The minor prepares students through additional coursework for subsequent graduate studies in water and environmental engineering at GMU or elsewhere, and for employment in environmental engineering, although the minor by itself does not constitute an engineering qualification.

The curriculum includes nine credits of CEIE engineering core courses and ten credits outside CEIE as follows:

  • CEIE 240 Hydraulics (3 credits)
  • CEIE 355 Environmental Engineering and Science (3 credits)
  • Either CEIE 450 Environmental Engineering Systems (3 credits) or CEIE 453 Water and Wastewater Treatment Processes (3 credits)
  • PHYS 331 Fundamentals of Renewable Energy (3 credits)
  • Either EVPP 355 Ecological Engineering and Environmental Restoration (4 credits) or EVPP 378 Ecological Sustainability (4 credits) or EVPP 442 Urban Ecosystems and Processes (4 credits)
  • Either GGS 302 Global Environmental Hazards (3 credits) or GGS 319 Air Pollution (3 credits).

Other Minors
Some minors frequently requested by engineering students have been coordinated with the BS-CIE curriculum.  The newest additions from the Volgenau School of Engineering include minors in mechanical engineering and aviation flight training and management.  In addition, the College of Science offers minors in renewable energy and computational data science; the School of Management offers a business minor and a minor in entrepreneurship; and GMU’s New Century College offers a minor in sustainability studies.

Procedures for Minors or Second Majors
Students declaring a minor must submit and receive approval starting with the Undergraduate Minor Declaration form.  Students declaring a second major must submit and receive approval starting with the Undergraduate Change/Declaration of Academic Program form.   Students who decide subsequently that they do not wish to complete their minor or their second major must file that change with the Registrar’s Office to avoid a delay in approval for graduation.    

Developing a curriculum to fulfill a minor or a double major requires special advising and planning should begin early in a student’s GMU career, especially for double majors which require input from two academic departments.  In some instances, courses required for the minor or second major may also be counted toward the BS-CIE degree.