Our department tackles big-picture problems using the latest technologies, such as virtual reality, artificial intelligence, robotics, and remote sensing, to improve construction safety, identify structural deficiencies, and predict changing weather patterns.
Exploring New Ideas
Mason is a Research-1 university, among an elite group of institutions known for performing research at the highest level of productivity and impact.
Our department is committed to conducting research, making discoveries, and sharing that knowledge. Our areas of research include:
- Construction engineering and management.
- Environmental and water resources engineering.
- Geotechnical engineering.
- Structural engineering.
- Transportation engineering.
We pride ourselves on the quality and number of research opportunities we offer our students both while they are at Mason and once they finish their studies and start careers.
Our Research Faculty
The civil and infrastructure engineering faculty:
- Collect data in the field and develop methods to protect infrastructure from natural hazards, including hurricanes, floods, landslides, and earthquakes.
- Use the power of big data and transportation economics to increase the performance, potential, resiliency, and sustainability of transportation systems.
- Experiment with innovative building materials, such as geosynthetics for cost-effective landfill design and recycled concrete for long-lasting roads.
- Present their work at national and international conferences.
- Publish in peer-reviewed journals.
- Work with local, state, and federal government agencies to conduct groundbreaking research.